[Vpn-help] Netgear DG834G

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue May 5 21:22:38 CDT 2009

shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for that, it is indeed helpful.
>
> As I'm new to Ubuntu and I am not yet ready to upgrade to 9.04, which I
> understand includes */ike 2.1.4+dfsg-1/* as standard and which I
> understand to be the latest stable version of the Shrew Network
> Manager.  And as it appears that Shrew isn't available through the
> Ubuntu repository having already searched for it, I wonder if there is
> another repository I could add that has the latest stable version of
> Shrew?  I can't see any mention anywhere on your website.  From reading
> your website it seems that the only method of upgrading to ike
> 2.1.4+dfsg-1 would be to manually install it, a process I find quite
> daunting.
>
> Any light you could shed would be most welcome.

Hi Steve,

I'm not aware of any pre-compiled packages for Ubuntu besides the 2.1.0
release. There is a 2.1.4 version for the Debian squeeze release which
is maintained by Philipp Matthias Hahn ...

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=ike

Ubuntu is the upstream distribution for Ubuntu so hopefully it will get
updated to 2.1.5 and the package will trickle down hill.

If you search the vpn-help mailing list, there are a few posts that
contain details regarding source compilation on Ubuntu.

http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/

You should also have a look at the README.TXT that accompanies the
source distribution. If you have specific questions, feel free to
forward them to the list.