[Vpn-help] trying to connect to

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon May 18 01:11:58 CDT 2009

Marco Lechner wrote:
> H list,

Hi Marco,

> I'm trying to connect to my LANCOM-based VPN-Gateway and have two
> problems (may there's just a little hint needed, because I'm a newbie to
> shrew-vpn-client):
> I'm using the same configuration (working at other colleagues, but
> modified psk/UFQDN string) on the Windows-client and the debian-client
> (installed through apt-get):
>
> - on the windows-client I the tunnel is established and I get my remote
> address. Therfore I think the connection seems to work, but I can not
> get any computer at the remote network. The standardgateway is set to my
> own address automatically by the shrew-client - could this be a reason?
> how to change? or how to find the problem

Is your intent to force all traffic via the tunnel? If so, your site is
probably correct. If you only plan to send traffic to specific networks
via the tunnel, then you need to define these in the site configuration
policy tab.

> - using the shrew-client on debian it just throws me out of my home
> wlan. After some timeouts it reconnects the WLAN not being able to
> connect the vpn-server so far and giving up.
> What am I doing wrong?

Are you able to test this using a ethernet adapter? To be honest, I
haven't done much testing with wireless adapters on Linux. I assume it
shouldn't matter much if its a LAN or WLAN connection.