[Vpn-help] vpn-help Digest, Vol 32, Issue 8 exclusive) mgrooms at shrew.net exclusive)

shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com
Tue May 19 05:18:24 CDT 2009

2009/5/18 Matthew Grooms - mgrooms at shrew.net

> <shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>>
>> I've now compiled and installed 2.1.4.  All seemed to go smoothly.  I can
>> create a new profile and enter a Fully Qualified Domain Name.  When I save
>> it and then attempt to connect to it wont do so and the message in the
>> responder's log is:
>>
>> 16:22:03 - [MiniEee] responding to Main Mode from unknown peer
>> 58.8.189.183
>> Fri, 2009-05-15 16:22:03 - [MiniEee] no suitable connection for peer
>> '192.168.1.5'
>> Fri, 2009-05-15 16:22:03 - [MiniEee] sending encrypted notification
>> INVALID_ID_INFORMATION to <invalid>:0
>>
>> When I go back to edit the profile the Fully Qualified Domain name field
>> has disappeared and only the IP address field remains.
>>
>> This time I am confident that I have 2.1.4 properly installed.  Could this
>> still be a bug with the Shrew VPN client?
>>
>> I fail to understand how it can accept the input when I create the profile
>> and yet not actually store it, which is what appears to be happening.
>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> Are you sure this isn't happening when you change the exchange type from
> aggressive to main mode? The Fully Qualified Domain Name ID type is only
> available when aggressive mode is used as defined by the RFCs.
>
> -Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Ahh..... I see..... That is obviously the issue.  In which case it appears
that I won't be able to get Shrew to work in conjunction with the Netgear
DG834G as it appears that it, for some reason I am yet to understand, won't
establish a connection with an initiator identifying itself by a
non-routable IP address.  And, it only works in Main Mode, Agressive Mode
isn't an option with the DG834G.  I'll persue this further in the Netgear
forum and see if I can get any further there.

Thanks for your insight.

Steve