[Vpn-help] Windows 7 x64 BSOD (again)

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Nov 29 02:46:16 CST 2009

Will Weisser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to start by thanking you for your awesome VPN client.  I
> experienced two BSODs today while not connected to the VPN, but loading
> them in windbg shows they are occurring in vfilter.sys (see output
> pasted below).  From browsing through the list archives it seems this
> has been reported before, so I guess the purpose of this e-mail is just
> to confirm that this is happening on Windows 7 Professional 64bit in
> 2.1.5rc4,  and to see if there is an expected ETA for when a fix will be
> available.  I've had the client installed for a number of weeks so it's
> odd that it happened twice today for the first time, but it would be
> really inconvenient for this to start happening often, and uninstalling
> the VPN is not an option at the moment!

Hi Will,

Thanks for the bug report. Almost 100% of my development time over the
last month has been related to kernel driver development. We are making
a very big push to eradicate the remaining few bugs that linger in the
2.x source code. Recently, we brought on a contract kernel developer who
specializes in network driver development. He was able to correct quite
a few issues and its likely the problem you are experiencing won't exist
in a future release.

As for an ETA, the 2.1.5 release will ship with the older drivers. Its
been in development for far too long to delay it until the new drivers
are ready. We will follow up with a quick 2.1.6 release that contains
the new drivers once they have been tested through a short beta cycle.
These new drivers will be submitted to MS and will be signed before the
final release is made available. I will be posting a development update
shortly with more details.

Hope this helps,