[Vpn-help] Cannot uninstall

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Sep 2 23:45:35 CDT 2009

Alexander Maringer wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I tried to install the ShrewSoft VPN client on a Win XP Pro 32bit. The
> installation ended up with a bluescreen telling me, that there are problems
> with a vfilter.sys.
>
> After a reboot I got some messages about unrecognized devices.
> There is:
> - Shrew Soft Miniport Filter #3
> - Shrew Soft Miniport Filter #4
> - Unknown device (Device Instance Id: ROOT\MFLT\0000)
> All these devices cannot be uninstalled by the administrator.
>
> I read the news:
> http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2008-May/001579.html
> and tried to uninstall all devices as listed in the post.
>
> I also tried to uninstall the program. Uninstall processes well, but after a
> reboot the above listed devices did appear again in the device manager.
>
> It would be very nice, if anybody can give me a hint, how to uninstall these
> devices.

Hi Alexander,

Do the Shrew Soft Miniport Filter instances show up in device manager as
stand alone devices or are they layered on top of other devices?

I have seen a failed installation that left an orphaned Unknown device
that couldn't be deleted in the past. You can try to first assign the
Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter driver to the device using the Update Driver
option under the Device Manager, and then try deleting it. This would
probably work best while in safe mode. Once the device is removed, try
uninstalling the Shrew Soft Protocol Filter from the Local Area Network
Connection properties dialog.

Hope this helps,