[Vpn-help] problem with installing vpn-client-2.1.5-rc-3 on Win7 x64

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Sep 9 00:47:17 CDT 2009

Gabriel Matthews wrote:
> Hello.. I recently installed Windows 7 x64 along with a few of my
> coworkers.  Of course we’re unable to use the Cisco VPN client due to
> the x64 limitation, and so we find ShrewVPN has a Windows 7 compatible
> (if at least in beta format) VPN client that seems to work for the most
> part.
>
> I have had some trouble getting it to work on mine.  I had some early
> problems which required me to reinstall (I don’t remember what they were
> at the moment) but now, when I try to install, I get ‘Error 0x80070005:
> Couldn’t install the Network component:  Possible Cause:  Access Denied.’
>
> I hit okay, it goes to ‘preinstalling driver package’, installing
> network service, and then ‘InstallSelectedDriver failed, error code =
> 0x00000006’
>
> I hit okay again, and it completes the setup (apparently) just fine.  It
> seems that the overall client setup doesn’t know or care that the
> separate Driver Installation failed, which seems like something it
> should do.. apart from that, though, I’m unable to get this danged
> client installed anymore.  If I uninstall the client, it gives me
> similar errors during the process, then exits gracefully.
>
> Any ideas?  I’d love to be able to help figure out what’s causing this
> if possible.  Thanks!

Hi Gabriel,

Are you sure you tried to install a 2.1.5 RC version of the software?
Yes, the installation program need to be improved more. Its not very
smart about error conditions. I posted some information regarding a
manual removal process some time ago. Maybe it has some information that
will help you ...

http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2008-May/001580.html