[vpn-help] VPN Help Please!

stel at mail.usa.com stel at mail.usa.com
Sat Apr 24 04:46:31 CDT 2010

 As a courtesy I'm letting you know that I've also posted the same question here:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=51222 but have not received a useful answer.

Hi there,

I'm really stuck establishing a VPN connection so I would really appreciate your help. I'll describe the problem below:

1. I'm trying to establish a connection from computer A (client) to computer B (server).

2. B is using a DG834G v3

3. Using Microsoft's own Windows software (PPTP) on both machines the VPN works fine. I can connect, map network drives and access files.
So I'm sure that static ip address, firewalls etc all work.

4. So, now I'm trying to use the inbuilt VPN software on the DG834G v3 router and this is where I'm stuck.

5. I think I've set up the incoming VPN connection correctly on the router.
I've used the wizard and selected "A remote VPN client (single PC)" which I think is right since this is an incoming connection from a single machine.

6. On the client side I've tried the Shrew client (2.1.5) using the "default" settings and disabling aggressive mode (which the DG834G v3 does not support). The error message I get is this:

config loaded for site 'site.com’
configuring client settings ...
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
remote id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
negotiation timout occurred
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...

So I'm stuck as to what the problem is.

7. I also tried Netgear's ProSafe VPN Client but the issue there is that I cannot even see the connection, when I right click on the ProSafe icon in the system tray.

My preference is to use it with Shrew because (I could be wrong) it's more up to date than the ProSafe client.

Really stuck.
Any ideas?