[vpn-help] BSOD after uninstalling Shrew with Novell Client installed

Kevin Macnaughton klmlk at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 14:59:55 CDT 2010

Hi all,

In my organization we use Novell with the Novell Client on Windows.   After uninstalling Shrew VPN (2.1.5 or 2.1.6b7) on a Windows XP machine that has the Novell Client installed, the next time the machine is restarted, Windows will crash to a BSOD on startup.   Shrew VPN uninstalls fine if the Novell Client has been removed first.

The BSOD error: DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
The guilty file: vfilter.sys

I had found this BSOD error in some other posts to this listserv, but they are related to the Deterministic Network Enhancer, which is not present on my machine.

I also noticed that the vfilter.sys file gets left behind even during a successful uninstall (one that does not result in a BSOD on next boot), is that supposed to happen?

To reproduce:
Install Novell Client v4.91 SP5 and Shrew VPN 2.1.5 (or 2.1.6) in any order, then uninstall Shrew VPN and reboot.

Pieces:
Novell Client v4.91 SP5
Shrew VPN 2.1.5
Windows XP SP3