[vpn-help] XAuth issues

Aaron Ray aray at isysllc.com
Fri Apr 30 09:46:40 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I emailed the list sometime back about XAuth issues with the Shrew VPN
client. I've tried 2.1.5 and the latest 2.1.6 beta and I'm unable to get
either to authenticate a known working Cisco vpn configuration.

My setup is as follows:

Cisco 2821 Router authenticating to a Windows 2003 RADIUS server to a
Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. This combination works fine with the
official Cisco client, but when using Shrew I'm getting XAuth errors. It is
resolving the username correctly as I've managed to lock my account out
while troubleshooting this issue. It appears something with the password
decryption isn't working correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had this same problem when using
the Cisco VPN client and it required me to adjust the RADIUS server
settings. I would expect though that since the Cisco client is now working,
that Shrew should work with the same basic configuration.

Thanks,

Aaron