[vpn-help] 3G/UMTS problem

Stian Jordet liste at jordet.net
Thu Apr 15 16:37:20 CDT 2010

Den 09.04.2010 17:44, skrev Matthew Grooms:
> Do you see the Shrew Soft Lightweight filter installed on your mobile
> broadband adapter? If not, you may have an adapter based on the newer
> Windows 7 driver standard which is not supported by the 2.1.5 version of
> the Shrew Soft client. It is supported by the 2.1.6 version.

Hi Matthew!

I've had for a long time problems with my 3g adapter on my HP Elitebook.
I couldn't get it to work reliably at all. But when it worked, I could
use Shrew with it. After very, very, very many emails with an
incompetent dude on HP first line support, I got in touch with someone
on second line, that sent me new, unofficial drivers straight away.

These works like a charm for me, all my 3g related problems are gone.
The new drivers supports the native mobile broadband standard in Windows
7. And with 2.1.6-beta7 I do have the Lightweight filter installed on
the adapter. But it won't work :( The tunnel connects just fine, but I
can't ping any of the hosts (using ip, not hostname). When I'm connected
via WLAN it works fine with the same config. Also, after I connect on
3g, I lose dns...

These drivers are not official yet, so they might very well be buggy for
what I know, but they work very well for me in every other way... Any
ideas what this can be?

And I have a wishlist for the next release (or the one after that...).
I'm on a quest to make the "Documents" in Windows 7 as clean as
possible... I mean, "every" application is making it's own directory
there these days. So my wish is that the "Shrew Soft VPN"-directory can
be customized in registry or preferences? Either works for me :)

Thanks again for superb software! I'm using it both on Windows and
Linux, and I'm incredibly happy with it! :)

Regards,
Stian