[vpn-help] VPN gateway disconnect

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Apr 19 22:53:57 CDT 2010

On 4/2/2010 10:35 AM, Drew Henderson wrote:
> I'm running Shrew Soft 2.1.6 v. 7 on Windows 7.  My Gateway is a ZyXel
> ZyWall Plus 2.  I've run through the tutorial for setting up this
> gateway, and must have done something wrong.  After enabling my tunnel
> it will be terminated by the gateway after about 90 seconds.  I've
> attached the debug information from VPN Trace.  I'm don't have much
> networking experience, so I may have set something up wrong.  I don't
> really understand what the debug info is saying though.
>
> Let me know what you find.

Drew,

The connection looks healthy. The only thing peculiar is that there is
no phase2 SA being negotiated. Have you tried pinging a device on the
other end of the tunnel during the first 90 seconds of the connection?
Some gateways will disconnect you if you don't negotiate a phase2 SA
within a certain time limit. I didn't think ZyWalls were like this but I
could be wrong.