[vpn-help] Internet Access Is Lost Win7 64-bit

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Apr 20 01:19:16 CDT 2010

On 4/11/2010 1:51 PM, Larry Burch wrote:
> I'm new to Shrew Soft VPN Client -- due to a new laptop, running Windows 7, with the 64-bit
> processor that Cisco's vpn client refuses to run on.  I installed the "stable" Shrew Soft v2.1.5
> release about 10 days ago.
>
> I have encountered the same problem reported by a few others:  After installing Shrew Soft v2.1.5
> *and* then rebooting, I no longer have any Internet connectability -- and also no vpn connectivity.
>
> As recommended by Stefan (and seconded by Matthew) in the Archives, I can disable the DNS Proxy
> Daemon service, which regains Internet connectivity.  But *not* any vpn connection.
>
> I am assuming that the disabling is properly accomplished in the Task Manager's "Services" tab,
> right-clicking on "ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon" for the item named "dptd".  IF THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT
> METHOD, please tell me what I *should* be doing!
>
> The stopping of "dptd" does restore Internet access for me, but not vpn.
>
> After rebooting, I again have no Internet or vpn access.  And stopping DNS Proxy again restores
> Internet but no vpn capability.
>
> Restarting the DNS Proxy (in Task Mgr's Services tab) does not improve the situation.
>
> I have now installed the v2.1.6 beta-7, with same results.

If the DNS Proxy server is giving you problems, stop the service and
change the start from automatic to manual. This will prevent the service
from being loaded when the computer reboots.

> At the present, my tactic is to "sleep" my PC (instead of "shutdown"), or else to uninstall Shrew
> Soft vpn just before shutting down and then re-installing after restarting.
>
> Any suggestions?

It sounds like you have two problems. One being the DNS proxy daemon and
the other being the lack of VPN connectivity. I saw lots of detail (
thank you ) regarding the DNS issue, but hardly any regarding the
connectivity issue. What happens when you try to connect to your gateway?