[vpn-help] Internet Access Is Lost Win7 64-bit

Larry Burch lmburch at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 22:30:45 CDT 2010

Matthew, thanks for your reply -- you perhaps have already seen my previous out-of-order reply, at
  --->>  http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2010-April/003173.html  <<--
in which I mentioned the great improvement I obtained from Ken Johnson's reply (uncheck the
Lightweight Filter, then recheck it).

    More reply interspersed:

On Tue Apr 20 01:19:16 CDT 2010 Matthew Grooms wrote:

>On 4/11/2010 1:51 PM, Larry Burch wrote:
>> I'm new to Shrew Soft VPN Client -- due to a new laptop, running Windows 7, with the 64-bit
>> processor that Cisco's vpn client refuses to run on.  I installed the "stable" Shrew Soft v2.1.5
>> release about 10 days ago.
>>
>> I have encountered the same problem reported by a few others:  After installing Shrew Soft
v2.1.5
>> *and* then rebooting, I no longer have any Internet connectability -- and also no vpn
connectivity.

>> As recommended by Stefan (and seconded by Matthew) in the Archives, I can disable the DNS Proxy
>> Daemon service, which regains Internet connectivity.  But *not* any vpn connection.
>>
>> I am assuming that the disabling is properly accomplished in the Task Manager's "Services" tab,
>> right-clicking on "ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon" for the item named "dptd".  IF THIS IS NOT THE
>> RIGHT METHOD, please tell me what I *should* be doing!
>>
>> The stopping of "dptd" does restore Internet access for me, but not vpn.
>>
>> After rebooting, I again have no Internet or vpn access.  And stopping DNS Proxy again restores
>> Internet but no vpn capability.
>>
>> Restarting the DNS Proxy (in Task Mgr's Services tab) does not improve the situation.
>>
>> I have now installed the v2.1.6 beta-7, with same results.
>>

>If the DNS Proxy server is giving you problems, stop the service and
>change the start from automatic to manual. This will prevent the service
>from being loaded when the computer reboots.

Matthew -- I would have no idea whether DNS Proxy Server is giving problems. (It's all Geek to
me!).  No idea what it does, or should do.   And I'm sure I don't wanna need to know, either!

>> At the present, my tactic is to "sleep" my PC (instead of "shutdown"), or else to uninstall
Shrew
>> Soft vpn just before shutting down and then re-installing after restarting.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>It sounds like you have two problems. One being the DNS proxy daemon and
>the other being the lack of VPN connectivity. I saw lots of detail (
>thank you ) regarding the DNS issue, but hardly any regarding the
>connectivity issue. What happens when you try to connect to your gateway?.
>
>-Matthew

It probably doesn't help that I have no idea about my gateway.  Also no idea about how Lightweight
Filter figures in with DNS and/or VPN.  I just want to be able to talk to my mainframe again (from
home).