[vpn-help] Another report of Lost network connectivity Win7 x64

Kyle McDonald kmcdonald at egenera.com
Tue Apr 27 15:21:54 CDT 2010

On 4/27/2010 4:03 PM, Matthew Butt wrote:
> Ditto.. same problem here, but only on my wireless connection - I can't get any DNS resolution with Shrew installed.  Uninstalling Shrew gives me access back.  Manually setting DNS servers on my wireless network connection does not help.  This started after I experienced a BSOD (I get these occasionally now.  I suspect Shrew is causing it but I have no proof!).

I saw something similiar a while back. Like you it only happenned on
Wireless. I found out that Win7 has this new MS driver for a virtual
wireless interface. I didn't need this virtual interface, I don't know
if you do.

I found I could fix this problem by going into "Network and Sharing
Center", clicking "Change Adapter Settings" on the right, right clicking
on "Virtual Wireless Connection" and picking "Disable". After that I
never had a problem.

On my other Win7 (32bit) laptop I noticed the other night that the
'virtual' device is enabled and not causing any problems. I wondered
about that, but The ShrewSoft VPN isn't installed there (I hadn't made
the connection to the VPN back then.) so maybe that's it. Maybe the 2
just don't get along.

  -Kyle