[vpn-help] New 2.2.0 Alpha Build Available ( PLEASE TEST !!! )

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Dec 12 15:56:55 CST 2010

All,

So its been quite some time since we have released a new build from the
head branch which will become the 2.2.0 release version. I'm pleased to
be moving beyond the 2.1.7 series as there are many enhancements and
changes in the head branch that have yet to make it into a stable VPN
client release. I really need everyone's help to test this release as it
contains a few critical bug fixes in the kernel drivers which will take
some time to pass through WinQual certification. This was a major
bottleneck for the 2.1.7 release so we hope to get this completed much
quicker this time around. All the kernel driver related items on the
2.2.0 todo list have been completed. Unless regressions are reported (
and I don't expect any ), we should be able to qualify this version of
the driver.

What's new in this release? I'll start with the major bug fixes ...

1) A myriad of tools were used to test user binaries to shake out any
memory leaks that were present. Embarrassingly, there were at least a
dozen problems found and corrected, none of them kernel driver related.
If you noticed a memory leak related to the VPN client on any platform,
please test this build.

2) The WLAN related problem that could be avoided by disabling the
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter problem has now been worked
around at the driver level. As long as you are connected to an AP, the
VPN client should operate normally. Using adhoc networks are currently
unsupported. If you currently have the Virtual WiFi adapter disabled,
please re-enable it and test this build.

3) The problem related to slow TCP performance when direct adapter mode
was in use has been corrected. This was due to the miniport TCP Large
Segment Offload feature not being emulated in the LWF driver send path.
If you currently have LSO disabled on your adapter, please re-enable it
and test this build.

4) The daemons no longer wake up every 500ms to check for an exit
status. It's quite possible that this caused unnecessary CPU activity
while in a low power state. This may cause a laptop battery to drain
faster even with the VPN client disconnected. To accomplish this on
Windows platforms, we now use asynchronous communication functions in
all driver interface library calls. This has also increased throughput
on low latency connections by a factor of 3. Less objective tests show
that this change also has a positive impact on high latency connections
such as mobile broadband adapters. If you have a native Windows 7 mobile
broadband connection, please test this build.

A huge number of other minor bug fixes are included in this release when
compared to the last 2.2.0 alpha. In many ways, this release is likely
more polished than even the 2.1.7 release. The reason its still marked
as alpha is that we still have more feature work and the driver
certification to complete before calling it a beta. If you have time,
please help test this build! We really need as many eyeballs on it as
possible to help us located driver bugs or regressions before we spend
the time and funds to re-certify the drivers.

Thanks to everyone in advance,