[vpn-help] Problems with DNS resolution

Thomas Siegenthaler thosi at sigicompi.ch
Sat Feb 20 08:58:11 CST 2010

Hi all

I found the following problem using Shrew VPN Client under Windows:
After I establish a IPSec connection to a remote IPSec gateway (Zyxel)
I am no longer able to resolve any DNS requests on my local computer.

It seems that Shrew VPN Client deletes the DNS server ip address on my
LAN adapter after I connected to the VPN gateway. As soon as I disconnect
the tunnel, I can resolve any name with no problems.

This issue only occures if I set the ip address of my LAN adapter manually
(static) and not via DHCP. Using DHCP for obtaining my LAN ip address
and connecting again will not result in the problem described.

I'm not using Split DNS and I've not enabled DNS / WINS in the policy
config.
(see screenshot).

I can reproduce this issue on any Windows version. I tried XP, Vista and 7.
My Shrew VPN Client has the version 2.1.5, the gateways are either Zyxel
Prestige 652 or m0n0wall appliances (there is no difference to which I
connect).

I like you to fix this problem as soon as possible. As a workaround I
configured
all my clients to use DHCP instand of assigning the ip address
statically. Please see
also the debug output attached and the output of the ipconfig command.

Regards,
Thomas