[vpn-help] Windows Mobile Broadband Adapters ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Feb 21 23:01:14 CST 2010

All,

I have been working hard to bring support for the new Windows 7 mobile
broadband adapters to the Shrew Soft client but have hit a road block. I
can't find a carrier that supplies a broadband adapter that actually
uses this new type of driver. So far I have tried out Cricket and AT&T
adapters but they both show up as Dial-up connections. Consequently,
these work fine with the current Shrew Soft client drivers. I had high
hopes that the AT&T adapter would work since it was mentioned in the
Microsoft document that describes building a test case for developing
support for this new Mobile Broadband Adapter type ...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/7/7E7662CF-CBEA-470B-A97E-CE7CE0D98DC2/MBChangesWin7.docx

So, who has a real Windows 7 mobile broadband adapter? As described in
the above document, when you click on the network VAN ( View Available
Networks ) icon in the system tray, it would display under the Mobile
Broadband Adapter section ( not the Dial-up and VPN section ) of the
popup. If you do have such an adapter, what is the exact product model,
driver version, and what US carrier do you use for connectivity? Until I
find a working test case, I can't bring support for this new type of
adapter to the Shrew Soft client.

Thanks in advance,