[vpn-help] Shrew VPN and VMware softare

Lars Vik lars at 3056.net
Tue Feb 23 06:50:13 CST 2010

Hi list,

I have noticed that "bridge" mode in VMware Server/Workstation/Player
doesn't work anymore after installing Shrew VPN-client. I have this
problem on both Windows and Ubuntu. On Ubuntu Shrew VPN connects
correctly, but doesn't forward any traffic. This is why I couldn't get
Shrew VPN to work on Ubuntu 9.10, since I had VMware Player installed.
On Windows no traffic is forwarded between host/guest machines in
"bridge" mode when the "Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter" is enabled on the
NIC, hence preventing the two programs to work simultaniously. Disabling
Shrew filter fix the problem, or using NAT mode in guest OS. On Ubuntu
this is far more "complicated" since when you install VMware
server/player you compile in the network drivers into the kernel. In
practice you can't have the two programs installed at the same Ubuntu
system. Clearly Shrew VPN and VMware software interfer with each other.

Have anybody else experienced this?

Ubuntu 9.10 -Shrew VPN 2.14 and Windows 7 64bit - Shrew VPN 2.15.

Lars