[vpn-help] VPN Client not working over wireless connection

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jan 5 18:18:56 CST 2010

On 12/29/2009 8:01 AM, Wells,Chris,OAKLAND,IS/IT wrote:
> I'm running the 2.1.5 rc4 build on Windows 7 64bit.  I was able to
> import my Cisco pcf files and connect to our corporate VPN over a wired
> connection, as well as my Verizon air-card, but I'm unable to connect
> using my wireless connection (from any location: home, airport, hotel,
> etc).  I verified the Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter is enabled for my
> wireless connection, but it's still unable to create a VPN tunnel.
>
> To rule out Windows firewall settings, I installed the NCP version and
> it connects over my wireless connection (and all other connections)
> without issue.  I really like the work you've put into the Shrew client
> so far, and would prefer to stick with it as a solution.  I must be
> overlooking something simple.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Hi Chris,

When the connection works, does the client negotiate a single policy
that matches 0.0.0.0/0? If the gateway doesn't provide networks for
split tunneling, this is the default behavior. One thing to note about
this type of configuration is that a new default route is created that
specifies the virtual adapter address as the gateway. I have seen some
wireless adapters actively 'manipulate' route metrics after they have
been created to ensure the wireless adapter maintains the highest route
priority for connectivity when the radio is enabled. This is incredibly
difficult to work around.

What does your route table look like before and after connecting?