[vpn-help] Win7 x64 Installation Issues

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jan 5 18:24:59 CST 2010

On 12/29/2009 9:37 AM, Kevin Queen wrote:

> I am installing Shrew 2.1.5 (vpn-client-2.1.5-release.exe) and having an
> issue with the VFILT installation, I think.
>
> I have read in the archive where pfilt is sometimes installed instead of
> vfilt and I think this is what I am running in to, here is a snip of the
> install log for reference...

> I am wondering how to manually install 64bit NDIS6 or force the
> installer to do so for me.
>
> The other thing I noticed is that in my \drivers\ directory I have the
> following:
>
> mfilter.inf
> pfilter.inf
> vfilter.cat <http://vfilter.cat>
> vfilter.sys
> virtualnet.cat <http://virtualnet.cat>
> virtualnet.inf
> virtualnet.sys
>
> I do not have a vfilt.inf (If I did I would try manually running the
> netcfg command to add vfilt and remove pfilt)
>
> I also enabled debug output in the trace utility and see unable to open
> vfilt driver errors constantly.
>
> If anyone can give me a hand it would be great as this is the last
> obstacle I have to fully converting to an x64 architecture.

Hi Kevin,

You are correct. The wrong drivers are being installed. What OS are you
attempting to install this on? If its Windows 7, make sure no Windows
Version Compatibility settings are enabled for the installer. This will
cause Windows to 'lie' about which version of Windows the installer is
running on. If you have it set to be compatible with XP, the installer
will use NDIS 5 drivers because that would be appropriate for XP.