[vpn-help] Problems on Windows 7/x64

Tim Mensch tim-shrewsoft at bitgems.com
Fri Jan 8 16:35:17 CST 2010

Hi,

I've been suffering through random BSOD crashes on Windows 7 for a few
weeks now, and I finally downloaded the tools to analyze a MiniDump file
to see what was causing them. Turns out the crashes have all been in
ShrewSoft driver components.

I was using 2.1.5, but when I started having other problems with 2.1.5 I
started trying 2.1.6 beta (the other problems are a good topic for a
separate thread, but in brief, after a while ShrewSoft will think I'm
still connected, and the server log shows no change, but all actual
attempted connections through the VPN fail). In the beta the location of
the crash changes from vfilter.sys to virtualnet.sys; in both cases it
appears that you're trying to write to either an illegal address or one
that has been paged out.

I can provide the minidump files for your debugging enjoyment, though
I'd rather not post them to this list, since I'm not sure what other
data can be extracted from a minidump.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tim

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4755 (20100108) __________