[vpn-help] Cannot import server certificate authority file

adam at aulick.net adam at aulick.net
Wed Jan 13 14:43:40 CST 2010

I am tryinghttps://mail.aulick.net/webmail/driver?nimlet=showcanvas# to connect to a Cisco VPN using the "Hybrid GRP + XAuth" authentication method, which requires a server cceertificate authority file.

The Cisco VPN client references a certificate in the microsoft cert store, which I have exported as PKCS #12, following these directions:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_cmimportexport.mspx?mfr=true

The export process includes setting a password on the exported certificate.

When I try to connect, using either the ShrewSoft 2.1.5 client or 2.1.6 beta 3, the client prompts me for my account name and password, then prompts me for the password on the certificate, then just keeps prompting repeatedly for that cert password.

The debug logs don't have any contents other than the initial startup line.
I am able to import the cert, using the password I set, into a MacOS X keychain, so I know the file is ok.
This happens regardless of the password I set on the cert file, including a blank password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
 ~Adam Aulick