[vpn-help] Windows 7 and Cisco ASA/PIX - KASPERSKY

Dave Roberts Dave at apansys.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 01:55:08 CST 2010

(I still have not found out how to thread this!)

Matt - thanks for your response, its 7.2 on the primary PIX, but I have found the answer at last:

Today's proceedings, very much simplified,
Bare metal installation of Win7 (64bit)
Add Updates
Add Shrew 2.1.6(3) - ping works
Add Kaspersky IS 2010 -ping works
Add to Domain (in case it was GPOs) - ping works

Bare metal installation of Win7 (32bit)
Updates
Kaspersky IS 2010
Add to Domain
Shrew 2.1.5 - ping fails
Update to 2.1.6(3) -ping fails
Disable KIS - ping fails
Remove KIS - ping works
Re-install KIS - ping works

Bare metal installation of Win7 (32bit)
Updates
KIS 2010
Shrew 2.1.6(3) - ping fails
REPAIR KIS - ping works

Run repair of KIS on several other 32 and 64 bit Win7 machines - all now work.

I can see no difference in the firewall settings for KIS between working and non-working systems
When KIS is installed before Shrew, disabling KIS completely still does not work.
I have never seen any problems with the Cisco VPN on any 32 bit system, XP, Vista or Win7 with any Security Software - so I was not considering this sort of outcome!

Policy has 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 which allows both access through PIX and external.
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 cuts off external as it routes everything into the tunnel.  Otherwise the only changes to default are for Host and Authentication.

I hope that these six days have been useful to others here!  They have not made me any money, but will make my customers a lot happier - they will be advised to donate!
Best regards to all, Dave