[vpn-help] DNS fails any time proxy is running even if not connected

Linwood Ferguson lferguson at thenewsgroup.com
Sat Jan 23 08:02:59 CST 2010

>Problem:

>Suddenly I was unable to resolve names with DNS while NOT connected via
VPN.

>This occurred with no apparent change, after working for several weeks
flawlessly.

> So far the problem is only on a wireless connection.

I have a lot more information to this, and the original description is
correct but misleading.

The problem is that after a while, the software simply quit working on
my wireless adapter (W7x64 Dell Mini-card).

When the DNS service is stopped when not connected via VPN, everything
else works fine.  I have learned since that the DNS service is only
needed when using split DNS.   So I tried connecting with that feature
off, DNS service stopped, and it would not connect.   Running both a log
and sniffer there are just timeouts on the communication packets - it
never starts a conversation.

This worked perfectly for a period of time.  One morning it just
stopped.  It seems any communication related to Shrew will not actually
get out on the wifi.

I can, without doing anything else, turn off wifi and plug into a wire
to the NIC, and everything works perfectly again.

I have tried VPNC-FE and it communicates but I could not figure out how
to get the default gateway to work correctly.   The point being that the
wifi port worked with it.  (I de-installed Shrew and installed VPNC-FE
and vice versa - I never had both at the same time).

I really like the Shrew client, but at this point the primary use
(travel) is handicapped by not being able to use wifi.

Anyone have any suggestions what I might look for?    Recap of things
tried:

-          Deinstall/reinstall

-          Both last release and beta three tried

-          Older and newest Dell wifi drivers

-          Deinstall, Manually clearing out any obvious registry
settings and reinstalling

-          With and without DNS service running

And in every combination, the packets do not get sent - this is not a
negotiation problem, this is a "not leaving the box" problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Linwood