[vpn-help] DNS fails any time proxy is running even if notconnected

Linwood Ferguson lferguson at thenewsgroup.com
Tue Jan 26 21:23:26 CST 2010

>>Problem:

>>Suddenly I was unable to resolve names with DNS while NOT connected
via VPN.

>>This occurred with no apparent change, after working for several weeks
flawlessly.

>> So far the problem is only on a wireless connection.

>I have a lot more information to this, and the original description is
correct but misleading.

>And in every combination, the packets do not get sent - this is not a
negotiation problem, this is a "not leaving the box" problem.

I have worked around, though not solved my problem.  In case it helps
anyone else...

With Windows 7 Microsoft introduced the virtual wifi adapter.

For reasons unclear, this is causing shrew (at least for me) to not
work.  If I disable this second virtual adapter everything works fine.
If I re-enable it then it fails.  Disable works.  I've tried both 2.1.5
and the new beta 3, same behavior.  The disabled adapter remains
disabled on a reboot, so it continues to work after reboots.

Uninstalling the adapter does NOT fix it but momentarily, as it will be
recreated as soon as windows scans for hardware changes.

I have no explanation why this began failing suddenly after working for
almost a month.  But it certainly appears to be  fix it when it is
disabled.

Hope it helps someone, and maybe a clue for a software fix one day.

Thanks,

Linwood