[vpn-help] 2.15 / 2.16 beta 8 - Can't establish two VPN

Damian Price dprice at fusioneer.com
Wed Jul 21 04:01:22 CDT 2010

Hi Matthew.

Apologies for the vague post.

I'm having an issue trying to run 2 tunnels to 2 different gateways.

First tunnel establishes, to either gateway, with no errors.

When try to bring up second tunnel receive a 'Adapter Configuration Error'

This is what is logged in iked.log with Log output level set to Debug:

"10/07/21 09:44:37 CallClassInstaller(INSTALLDEVICE) failed, error code =
0xe0000204

10/07/21 09:44:37

10/07/21 09:44:37 ii : unable to create vnet adapter"

Things I've noticed:-

With no active tunnels:

Device Manager shows the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter as disabled. That makes
sense.

Opening one tunnel:

Device Manager shows the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter as enabled. That makes
sense.

Trying to establish a second tunnel with one already active:

Device Manager, with show hidden devices enabled, shows a new device called
Unknown device

If I look at its properties, it has no driver loaded.

If I click 'Update Driver' and say search automatically, it then installs
Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter #2.

If I don't update the driver at that point and reboot, it detects the
'Unknown device' and installs the driver.

Have tried v2.1.5-release and 2.1.6-beta-10 and both have the same issue.

Have also tried disabling Driver Signing Enforcement but still no luck.

I can see that the driver is in the Windows driver cache as it's created the
2 oem.inf / pnf files for the filter driver and the virtual net driver.

Ticked the 'Always trust Shrew Soft Inc' message when installing.

Happens on both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit.

Thanks,

Damian.