[vpn-help] 2.15 / 2.16 beta 8 - Can't establish two VPN

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Jul 21 11:31:54 CDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 4:01 AM, Damian Price wrote:
> Hi Matthew.
>
> Apologies for the vague post.
>
> I’m having an issue trying to run 2 tunnels to 2 different gateways.
>
> First tunnel establishes, to either gateway, with no errors.
>
> When try to bring up second tunnel receive a ‘Adapter Configuration Error’
>
> This is what is logged in iked.log with Log output level set to Debug:
>
> “10/07/21 09:44:37 CallClassInstaller(INSTALLDEVICE) failed, error code
> = 0xe0000204
>
> 10/07/21 09:44:37
>
> 10/07/21 09:44:37 ii : unable to create vnet adapter”
>
> Things I’ve noticed:-
>
> With no active tunnels:
>
> Device Manager shows the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter as disabled. That
> makes sense.
>
> Opening one tunnel:
>
> Device Manager shows the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter as enabled. That
> makes sense.
>
> Trying to establish a second tunnel with one already active:
>
> Device Manager, with show hidden devices enabled, shows a new device
> called Unknown device
>
> If I look at its properties, it has no driver loaded.
>
> If I click ‘Update Driver’ and say search automatically, it then
> installs Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter #2.
>
> If I don’t update the driver at that point and reboot, it detects the
> ‘Unknown device’ and installs the driver.
>
> Have tried v2.1.5-release and 2.1.6-beta-10 and both have the same issue.
>
> Have also tried disabling Driver Signing Enforcement but still no luck.
>
> I can see that the driver is in the Windows driver cache as it’s created
> the 2 oem.inf / pnf files for the filter driver and the virtual net driver.
>
> Ticked the ‘Always trust Shrew Soft Inc’ message when installing.
>
> Happens on both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit.

Hi Damian,

I'm not sure why this is happening. I assume there is an older driver
package on your system that is causing issues. The device install issue
was a bug in the 2.x series but was corrected in beta10. I would try to
do the following ...

1) Uninstall the client
2) Remove any shrew soft or unknown network devices in device manager
3) Remove any shrew soft related infs and any virtualnet.sys files
4) Reboot
5) Install beta-10

Then try your scenario again.