[vpn-help] Bug report: same subnet both ends of the tunnel doesn't work.

Ian Fraser Ian.Fraser at asm.org.uk
Wed Jul 28 09:29:21 CDT 2010

Hi, I have a problem with the Shrew Soft Windows VPN client and would like to submit the following bug report:

Problem:
Recently changed from Junipers VPN client to Shrew Soft's VPN client for windows. I happily completed all testing without a problem. After the users switched some of them complained of various behaviour such as:
Connects RDP client for a short while(10-20 mins) then disconnects and refuses to reconnect.
Tunnel comes up, until try they to connect the RDP client, then the tunnel drops.
Tunnel comes up, but RDP client fails to connect.

After some time, it emerged that the users experiencing these problems were using home connections that used the same subnet range as our internal network (192.168.1.0/24 for example). I am hoping that because other VPN client software can cope with this situation, this is not an insurmountable problem.

VPN Client Version : 2.1.5-release (have also tried 2.1.6-rc-1) Windows OS : Windows Vista and XP Gateway Make/Model: Juniper SSG-140 Gateway OS version: 5.4

Best regards,

Ian Fraser

Systems Administrator | Agency Sector Management (UK) Limited | www.asm.org.uk [t] +44 (0)1784 242200 | [f] +44 (0)1784 242012 | [e] ian.fraser at asm.org.uk Ashford House  41-45 Church Road  Ashford  Middx  TW15 2TQ

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the addressee and is confidential. If you are not that addressee, no action should be taken in reliance on the information and you should please reply to this message immediately to inform us of incorrect receipt and destroy this message and any attachments.

For the purposes of internet level email security incoming and outgoing emails may be read by personnel other than the named recipient or sender.

Whilst all reasonable efforts are made, ASM (UK) Ltd cannot guarantee that emails and attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems. You should make your own checks and ASM (UK) Ltd does not accept liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.
Registered address: Agency Sector Management (UK) Ltd. Ashford House, 41-45 Church Road, Ashford, Middlesex, TW15 2TQ
Registered in England No.2053849