[vpn-help] Dumb Question

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 13:03:53 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:40:17 -0500
<gregmail at outtacyte.com> wrote:

> When I connect in to a remote site via VPN, now do I determine which
> (of the pool of addresses) that I actually got?  I RDP into the
> (Windows) remote server and I can't seem to locate an IP address from
> the range I know it should be with ipconfig.

I would have thought that ipconfig /all would show you the Shrew virtual
adapter address.

If it doesn't, you can use the Shrew Trace Utility. Remember to run it
with Administrator priviledges (shift-right click), use the File ->
Options to turn on some trace level (Informational should be enough),
Stop/Start the IKE Service, then Open Log and then Trace Log. Connect
to the VPN and watch the output. There should be something like this:

10/06/30 10:21:06 ii : received config pull response
10/06/30 10:21:06 ii : - IP4 Address = 192.168.20.1
10/06/30 10:21:06 ii : - IP4 Netmask = 0.0.0.0

Or look on the Security Policy tab.  The policies with NONE listed as
the type are the ones that should have the virtual adapter IP in them.