[vpn-help] Dumb Question

gregmail at outtacyte.com gregmail at outtacyte.com
Fri Jul 2 16:44:26 CDT 2010

Hi Kevin & all,

Yeah, I was expecting it to show up in the Remote's Ipconfig /all.  But it
doesn't.  Thinking about it, I don't think is should show up there as the
remote PC (which isn't the VPN endpoint - that's in a Cisco Pix 501 ) is the
destination of the RDP.

I do have on my Local Ipconfig /all a number that I'm expecting
(172.16.2.0/24).  Does this same number appear on both ends of the tunnel?
Should it answer to a Ping?

I look on the Remote and do a Netstat (no parameters) and then do something
via RDP and I do see a line that reads:

TCP    fs-1:ms-wbt-server     172.16.2.1:59120       ESTABLISHED

Eureka!  I found it.  I started the Terminal Services Manager, found my
UserID, looked at the Information tab and there it is:  Client Address:
172.16.2.1

All that just to verify that I'm getting the address I think I should be
getting.  And that answers the earlier question:  The VPN IP is the same on
both ends.

-g