[vpn-help] Huawei E160 using VPN - after connection loss - Traffic stops completely - related to DNS proxy daemon (still exists with v2.1.6)

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Jul 8 11:41:36 CDT 2010

On 7/8/2010 3:11 AM, Andreas Allacher wrote:
> First I want to add that I am using Windows XP SP3 (forgot to mention
> that before).
> Also: Once the problem occurs and you STOP the ShrewSoft DNS Proxy
> Service I get internet connection again. However, once I start that
> service again it stops working (again).

Andreas. In the original part of your email you said the WHOLE traffic
is blocked, not just DNS traffic. Now it sounds like when you stop the
DNS proxy daemon, you can then use your internet again. Which is it?
When the problem occurs, can you still ping things by IP address?

> Regarding route (I currently only have the one from after the issue
> starts, however, I have one with DNS proxy stopped and one with it
> running - at first glance they seem identical) -> attached as text files.

If you still have network connectivity and only DNS is broken, then its
not related to a routing issue.

> Something different: I am not able to get the normal internet working
> after I connect through VPN. Isn't it possible to set the client up to
> use the normal internet connection for everything - except a certain IP
> range?

Yes. But you have to configure the gateway and the client to use a split
tunnel. Please have a look at the policy tab on the client.

> Furthermore, even if I provide a correct DNS server (in the VPN network)
> it isn't working.
> What am I doing wrong?

I don't know. I don't even fully understand the 1st problem yet. This
sounds like problem #3, now that I'm counting. Lets try to fix one
problem at a time.

> Furthermore, I noticed that the VPN client sets the default gateway for
> the virtual interface to the same IP as the interface's IP. Can I change
> the gateway somewhere because I think it might be related to this.

This is directly related to your policy configuration. If you don't
specify specific networks to tunnel in the policy tab, the client will
attempt to send ALL traffic via the tunnel.

> Regarding logs: Do they contain any sensitive information like used PSK
> or something like this? If so I don't want to post them to the public -
> of course. Do you need a whole packet dump or are the normal enough..?

Yes they do. Send them directly to me or replace the gateway IP address
from the log files with x.x.x.x. Don't send binary capture files to the
list.

-Matthew