[vpn-help] Huawei E160 using VPN - after connection loss - Traffic stops completely - related to DNS proxy daemon (still exists with v2.1.6)

Andreas Allacher andreas.allacher at gmx.at
Thu Jul 8 03:11:23 CDT 2010

First I want to add that I am using Windows XP SP3 (forgot to mention
that before).
Also: Once the problem occurs and you STOP the ShrewSoft DNS Proxy
Service I get internet connection again. However, once I start that
service again it stops working (again).

Regarding route (I currently only have the one from after the issue
starts, however, I have one with DNS proxy stopped and one with it
running - at first glance they seem identical) -> attached as text files.

Something different: I am not able to get the normal internet working
after I connect through VPN. Isn't it possible to set the client up to
use the normal internet connection for everything - except a certain IP
range?
Furthermore, even if I provide a correct DNS server (in the VPN network)
it isn't working.
What am I doing wrong?
Furthermore, I noticed that the VPN client sets the default gateway for
the virtual interface to the same IP as the interface's IP. Can I change
the gateway somewhere because I think it might be related to this.

Regarding logs: Do they contain any sensitive information like used PSK
or something like this? If so I don't want to post them to the public -
of course. Do you need a whole packet dump or are the normal enough..?

Regards,
     Andreas Allacher

On 7/7/2010 1:09 AM, Andreas Allacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a Huawei E160 to connect to the Internet through UMTS and after I loose connection it happens that the WHOLE traffic is blocked - even with the tunnel down.
> Up to v2.1.5 (and also some 2.1.6-beta versions) it was enough to just connect to the internet and disconnect.
>
> Now with v2.1.6-beta9 I have to do the following:
> 1.) Connect to the internet
> 2.) Open tunnel
> 3.) Disable tunnel (I am not completely sure if I did this point but I am pretty sure)
> 4.) Disconnect from internet
> 5.) Reconnect to internet
> 6.) Disconnect from internet
> 7.) Reconnect to internet
>
> -->  No traffic working at all.
>
> Sorry if this is the second mail - I accidentely sent it too early before.

Hi Andreas,

It would be helpful to see log output from when this problem occurs ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

It would also be helpful to see your route table before and after this
problem occurs. You can obtain this using the 'route print' command. It
is possible that something isn't being cleaned up properly.