[vpn-help] 2.1.5 -> 2.1.6b10 -- Connection silently dies after 5 minutes

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Jul 9 17:50:31 CDT 2010

On 7/8/2010 1:01 PM, Aaron Sarazan wrote:
> Here's a snippet from when I tested it out this morning. I think it died
> before I actually disconnected from the client side-- although it looks
> like the gateway did get the disconnect signal and shut down the
> connection. Doesn't look like there's much of interest from when it
> actually died.
>
> Is it common for a gateway to fail to correctly advertise dead peer
> detection (or for shrew to possibly misinterpret the advertisement)?

No, its not. RFC3706 clearly states that a peer MUST provide a vendor ID
to be compliant with the specification. It's really not possible to
misinterpret the requirement or the ID value when sent correctly.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3706.html ...

5.1.  DPD Vendor ID

    To demonstrate DPD capability, an entity must send the DPD vendor ID.
    Both peers of an IKE session MUST send the DPD vendor ID before DPD
    exchanges can begin.  The format of the DPD Vendor ID is:

                                      1
                 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5
                 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                 !                           !M!M!
                 !      HASHED_VENDOR_ID     !J!N!
                 !                           !R!R!
                 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    where HASHED_VENDOR_ID = {0xAF, 0xCA, 0xD7, 0x13, 0x68, 0xA1, 0xF1,
    0xC9, 0x6B, 0x86, 0x96, 0xFC, 0x77, 0x57}, and MJR and MNR correspond
    to the current major and minor version of this protocol (1 and 0
    respectively).  An IKE peer MUST send the Vendor ID if it wishes to
    take part in DPD exchanges.

... I just fired up my FVS338 to run some tests. The tunnel has been up
and running for over 30 mins now and its still passing traffic fine. The
negotiation looks almost identical to yours but I'm using a modecfg
record. I also don't force the NAT-T operation, it just gets negotiated
normally, detects the NAT and switches to port 4500.

One other thing to check: When you run the ping that eventually stops
returning traffic, do you see the 'Transferred' values in the Security
Association Tab constantly increase? This can be seen in the VPN Trace
application.