[vpn-help] VPN to Netgear SRXN3205 broken in 2.1.6beta

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Jul 16 11:47:27 CDT 2010

On 7/16/2010 5:32 AM, Fernando Viñan-Cano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to recreate my VPN settings on my Netgear SRXN3205, which
> were lost after I had to reset the router due issues after the latest
> firmware upgrade, and having difficulties trying to get ShrewVPN to
> reconnect.
>
> I originally used v2.1.5 and in trying to get it all working again I
> upgraded to v2.1.6b10
>
> Eventually I tracked the connection issues with the router config and
> managed to get my PC to connect successfully. However, I was unable to
> transmit any data across the VPN no matter what settings I tried - even
> created a new connection in the manager.
>
> So I reverted back to v2.1.5, recreated the connection from scratch on
> the connection manager (left the router alone) and tried again. Success.
> Connected first time and was able to communicate with my remote server.
>
> Seems something has broken things in v2.1.6 or I have configured
> something incorrectly, but I'm sure I simply did the same for both
> versions of ShrewVPN just ignored the bits that were different in the
> later version.
>
> I've attached the logs from my router, one from using v2.1.5 and one
> from using v2.1.6 - there seems to be a lot more errors during the latter,

Fernando,

Set the generated policy level to UNIQUE. Netgear uses the ipsec-tools
racoon daemon which advertises itself as Cisco compatible so the client
will default to shared. You have to force the client to UNIQUE when the
gateway advertises itself as Cisco but isn't actually a Cisco gateway.
I'll try to add a check to avoid this problem before I upload the first
2.1.6 release candidate.