[vpn-help] what does INVALID-ID-INFORMATION in log mean?

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 20:27:11 CDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:58:49 -0400
"Brian Preston" <bpreston at progenygenetics.com> wrote:

> I'm setting up your VPN Client for the first time, with settings sent
> to me by co-worker.  I get a 'negotiation timout occurred' in the
> connection log. I searched here for info on that and enabled the
> trace log and found the 'received peer INVALID-ID-INFORMATION
> notification' message, which I figured was the root cause.  What does
> that mean?

Hi Brian,

I'm just guessing here, I don't actually know what that error means.

I would look at the Shrew site configuration Authentication tab.
Perhaps you've got the Local Identity or Remote Identity types or
values set incorrectly. For instance, perhaps you need to use a "User
Fully Qualified Domain Name" instead of "Fully Qualified Domain Name".

BTW, if you increase the Log output level to debug in the trace
program, it will show you more detail about what Shrew is sending to
the gateway.