[vpn-help] Starting the GUI

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Mar 14 21:25:18 CDT 2010

On 3/13/2010 1:02 AM, Albrecht Mehl wrote:
> With opensuse Linux 11.2 I installed the vpn client
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> 001109ea63a6:/home/am/internet/shrewvpn/ike # cmake -DDEBUG=YES
> -DQTGUI=YES -DNATT=YES -DLDAP=YES .
> -- Using install prefix /usr/local ...
> -- Using etc path /etc ...
> -- Using man path /usr/local/man ...
> -- Using binary /usr/bin/flex ...
> -- Using binary /usr/bin/bison ...
> -- Enabled NAT Traversal support ...
> -- Enabled LDAP Authentication support ...
> -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
> -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in
> /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so - found
> -- Looking for gethostbyname
> -- Looking for gethostbyname - found
> -- Looking for connect
> -- Looking for connect - found
> -- Looking for remove
> -- Looking for remove - found
> -- Looking for shmat
> -- Looking for shmat - found
> -- Looking for IceConnectionNumber in ICE
> -- Looking for IceConnectionNumber in ICE - found
> -- Found X11: /usr/lib64/libX11.so
> -- Enabled Client QT GUI support ...
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/am/internet/shrewvpn/ike
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> which seems to have been successful. But ... either because your
> documentation is too sparse or because I am looking at the wrong places
> I cannot get the GUI running to insert the profil already provided by
> the intended host:
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> 001109ea63a6:/home/am/internet/shrewvpn/ike/script # ./iked -F
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> With or without the -F switch there is an immediate return to the
> console prompt.
>
> I thereforwould be most grateful to get a hint on how
>
>    - to get the GUI running and to import the profil
>    - to get the connection to the host
>
> Please bear with me for these questions perhaps a bit trivial.

 From the sparse documentation ...

USAGE

The main process that handles IKE negotiations is iked and must be run
as root.
By default, it will detach itself from the terminal and execute as a
daemon. To
force foreground operation, use the -F switch. A sample configuration
file is
included in this distribution and will be installed in the etc system
configuration directory. The configuration should be suitable to allow for
client operation but can also be modified to allow for site to site or
client
gateway operation as well. See the iked.conf man page for more details.

Once the iked process has been launched, the VPN Access Manager application
( ikea ) is used to build remote access client configurations and initiate
client connections. When the Access Manager GUI is used to initiate a client
connection, a VPN Connect application ( ikec ) process is created. This
process
interacts with iked to initiate the connection. Please see the online
documentation available at http://www.shrew.net for more details.

EXPORTED CONFIGURATION FILES

A site configuration contains all the data required to connect to a site
using
the VPN client tools. These configuration files can be exported or imported
using the VPN Access Manager application. The file format used to
describe the
site configuration is a text ducument that contains one attribute per
line with
one or more attribute values. The attribute type is denoted by a single
charachter field followed by the attribute name field and then by a
value. The
fields are separated using a colon charachter. For example, the
following line
describes a string attribute names network-host with a value of 10.1.1.1