[vpn-help] VPN not passing traffic using Shrew Client

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 20:50:16 CDT 2010

On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:41:32 -0400
mikelupo at aol.com wrote:

> To Mike W's mail which has not yet hit my inbox but is up on the
> VPN-HELP list... Mike, Yup, I'm already using Xauth with modeconfig.
> The major problem was that I was using the 192.168.1.x subnet in the
> assigned IP address pool for Mode Config. Changed it to 192.168.2.x
> as you suggested and now I"m able to ping ....but somewhat
> unreliably. For example, one time I ping 192.168.1.1 and the ping
> request come back with 4 positive hits. Try it again and this time I
> get a response from the WAN address saying "Destination host
> unreachable". So one step forward to peel away at what appear to be a
> few problems....

Can you send a new iked.log and screenshots now that you've made the
change? Also, is there some other machine that you can ping that is not
the gateway?  While the gateway should respond, sometimes routers
don't like to be pinged "from the inside" if you will, which is what
kind of happens when you're trying to ping from the VPN assigned
address. (That said, I'm sure you're doing the same ping from the
NetGear client and it probably does work fine.)

The pings... is it always that you connect, ping, then can't ping
again?  Once you can't ping, does it ever start to ping later?