[vpn-help] Internet connection dies after some minutes of heavy download traffic

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri May 14 10:45:28 CDT 2010

On 5/13/2010 4:04 AM, wosgien at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first I would like to thank you for your great product. After trying
> various other solutions without success, your program immediately worked.
>
> Unfortunytely, there is one problem: After some minutes under heavy
> load, my internet connection is dead. Download stops and I cannot reach
> any page in my web browser.
>
> The problem does not occur while I am actually connected through the
> Shrew Soft VPN Client with my work PC. During that time, I only generate
> small traffic, and everything works fine, even for long times (9 - 10
> hours).
>
> The problem does occur while I am NOT connected through the Shrew Soft
> VPN Client, i.e. when I am using my PC for private purposes (without any
> active VPN connection). During that time, I often download stuff from
> the Usenet with high speed (50 Mbps). And after some minutes of heavy
> download, my internet connection dies. Then I have to reboot my PC to
> get my internet connection back to normal.
>
> I think the culprit is the 'Shrew Soft Leightweight Filter'. When I
> disable it in the properties of my LAN card, the problem vanishes.
>
> The problem occurs with Shrew Soft VPN Client For Windows 2.1.5-release,
> 2.1.6-beta-7, and 2.1.6-beta-8. Using 64-bit Windows 7 Home.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the bug report. This may be a new issue or it may be related
to another issue already reported on the list.

1) Have you tried stopping the Shrew Soft DNS Proxy service and does
this work around the issue?

2) Does the unchecking and rechecking the lightweight filter for your
public adapter fix the issue or are you forced to reboot the computer?

3) Is your problem identical to the one reported in this thread?

http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2010-April/003141.html

It would be helpful to know if you can still ping your default gateway
when the issue occurs. If you can't, do you see an ARP entry for your
default gateway IP when running 'arp -a' from a command line? If not,
this is probably related to the same issue reported by Tamas which I
haven't been able to reproduce locally yet.