[vpn-help] Fwd: Internet connection dies after some minutes of heavy download traffic

wosgien at gmail.com wosgien at gmail.com
Fri May 14 16:08:25 CDT 2010

Hi Matthew,

please find my answers below.

Best regards,
Andreas

2010/5/14 Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>

Hi Andreas,

> Thanks for the bug report. This may be a new issue or it may be related to
> another issue already reported on the list.
>
> 1) Have you tried stopping the Shrew Soft DNS Proxy service and does this
> work around the issue?

I have tried this, but the problem still occurred.

> 2) Does the unchecking and rechecking the lightweight filter for your
> public adapter fix the issue or are you forced to reboot the computer?

When I remove the check mark of the lightweight filter and press okay, the
window "hangs" for several minutes (no response). Finally, the window
closes. When I open the window afterwards, add the check mark again and
press okay, the window hangs again. Finally, the window closes. However, the
connectivity issues are not fixed by that procedure. I must reboot my
computer to get internet connectivity.

> 3) Is your problem identical to the one reported in this thread?
>
> http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2010-April/003141.html

I think the symptoms are identical.

> It would be helpful to know if you can still ping your default gateway when
> the issue occurs.

After the issue occurs, I cannot ping my default gateway.

> If you can't, do you see an ARP entry for your default gateway IP when
> running 'arp -a' from a command line?

No, the ARP entry for my default gateway IP has vanished.