[vpn-help] BSOD after uninstalling Shrew with Novell Client installed

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat May 15 13:06:43 CDT 2010

On 5/12/2010 10:52 AM, Matthew Grooms wrote:
> On 5/11/2010 12:11 PM, kevin shrew-vpn wrote:
>>
>> Hi Matthew, I have good news and other news.  The good news is that the
>> problem does not occur on Vista Business 32-bit with Shrew 2.1.5 or
>> 2.1.6b7. I can add and remove Shrew with Novell Client 2 SP1 for
>> Vista/Win7 installed and the Blue Screen of Death does not occur.
>>
>> The other testing news is that Novell does not work at all across a
>> Shrew 2.1.5 tunnel on Vista.  It keeps saying that "The tree or server
>> cannot be found." even though the server is both pingable and
>> resolvable.  Novell does work using Shrew 2.1.6b7 on Vista though.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the update. The 2.1.6 branch will be the new stable release
> within a few weeks time. Its good to hear our software works well with
> the Novell client on Vista and hopefully Windows 7 as well. As for the
> 2.1.6 beta on Windows XP, I still need to do more investigation. My
> plate is very full as of late.

Hi Kevin,

Please give this version a try. I have modified the install / uninstall
process to do a better job of cleaning up the NDIS 5 ( 2K/XP ) filter
driver. The downside is that these modifications won't help folks that
used an older version of the software to install. :/ But if this works,
2.1.6+ should offer a better experience for 2K/XP in this regard.