[vpn-help] BSOD upon failed install on Panasonic Toughbook XP (ver. 2.1.5)

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 15:38:33 CDT 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:51:25 -0500
"Susan Zoppa" <rsystems2 at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Panasonic Toughbook with Windows XP SP3 on it.  I have
> attempted to install your software on this PC without success.  I
> reach a point on the install where it says that the "Shrew Soft Mini
> Port Filter" is not certified by Microsoft.  My choices are to
> continue or quit.  I have hit continue repeatedly and get the same
> message.  So after a number of attempts to continue, I end up
> quitting.  At that point, I get a BSOD.  I have had to go back to a
> restored version both times that I attempted this install, because
> when it would try to boot after the BSOD, it would eventually just
> end up again at a BSOD.
>
> I don't know if this is a problem, but I do already have a version of
> Checkpoint VPN Client and Netgear ProSafe VPN client installed on
> this PC.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Sue Zoppa

Hi Sue,

The Shrew Soft drivers are not yet Microsoft certified.  If I recall
correctly, I had to click Continue a number of times (6-10) before all
the components installed.  Perhaps you just need to re-try and keep
clicking Continue?

Secondly, from other posts in this mailing list, you should check if
either of the other VPN clients you have required the use of the
Deterministic Network Enhancer.  The DNE seems to occasionally cause
conflicts with Shrew:

http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2007-November/001393.html

You can see if the DNE is installed by looking at the properties for
your network connection (same place you'd go to configure an IP
address, eg. Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area
Connection properties).