[vpn-help] Fwd: Internet connection dies after some minutes of heavy download traffic

wosgien at gmail.com wosgien at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:10:24 CDT 2010

Hi Matthew,

2010/5/17 Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>

> My apologies. The key is this ...
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AdapterID}
>
> ... Your adapter should be easy to find as it will have the IpAddress
> identical to your ipconfig output. You would only have to add a DWORD named
> MTU with a value of 1400. It would be good to know the result of as I may
> not be able to reproduce your issue locally ( although I am trying ).

Okay, there were two entries under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
which came into question. The first one had a sub-entry named IpAddress, but
its value was in my company's range of IP addresses. So that entry seemed to
be the wrong one. By the way, that entry already had a sub-entry MTU with
the value 1380. The other entry did not have a sub-entry named IpAddress.
However, it had a DhcpIPAddress (192.168.2.104) and a DhcpServer
(192.168.2.1). That entry seemed to be the right one. It did not have an MTU
sub-entry. So I added one with the value 1400, deactivated/activated the
adapter, and repeated the test. The test result was that the problem did
occur.

Another question: Why is it necessary that the Shrew Soft Leightweight
Filter is active while I have no VPN connection? It only costs performance
and brings no added value, does it? For me, it would be an acceptable
workaround if the Shrew Soft Leightweight Filter were only activated when
the user presses Connect in the Access Manager and decativated when he
presses Disconnect.

Best regards,
Andreas