[vpn-help] netscreen-25 P2 problem: invalid payload type

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 19:22:56 CDT 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:56:57 +0200
"Dimitri Croubels" <dimitric at haco.com> wrote:

> I am trying to connect the shrew vpn client (windows xp) to a juniper
> netscreen-25 device.
>
> I get as far as phase1 completed but then I get following message on
> the juniper device.
>
> Received a notification message for DOI <1><24578><INITIAL-CONTACT>
> 1 means: invalid payload type
> 24578 means: initial_contact.
> After that I get
> Received initial contact notification and removed Phase 2 SAs.
> Received initial contact notification and removed Phase 1 SAs.
>
> After that nothing.
>
> Have you got any idea what went wrong?

Hi Dimitri, are you using a Shrew client that is configured with
"Use a virtual adapter and assigned address" when connecting to a
VPN that does not have an IP Pool configured?

Shrew seems to require the use of an IP pool. Or at least it does for
me, but I've been wrong on here before.  The Netscreen (Juniper) Howto
also includes the use of an IP pool:

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoJuniperSsg