[vpn-help] Shrew VPN client fails to connect when "ike config push" is selected

Vali mastanvali at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:05:08 CDT 2010

Hi All,
   I analyzed this further from my gateway and i noticed following things

   In the XAuth negotiation, after authenticating user successfully, my gateway
   is pushing configuration data (IP address, Mask and DNS) to client using
   ISAKMP_CFG_SET with XAUTH_STATUS attribute set to 1.

   draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-xauth-06.txt requires XAUTH_STATUS attribute exchange
   to terminate xauth transaction.

   Shrew client is sending ISAKMP_CFG_ACK message with no attributes.
   I also see an additional ISAKMP_CFG_ACK message with all the attributes.
   Debug logs shows client is sending config push.

   I do not see XAUTH_STATUS in both ISAKMP_CFG_ACK messages.

   My gateway is ignoring second ISAKMP_CFG_ACK message but seems like shrew
   client is expecting some reply from gateway and it is re-sending the seconf
   ISAKMP_CFG_ACK without starting phase-2 negotiation.

   Hoping this analysis will help to identify the issue.

Thanks,
Vali.

Message: 1