[vpn-help] Established VPN tunnel by Ubuntu client only transfers limited userland data

Gordon gordon.a.lang at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 06:31:32 CST 2010

Hi,

I have tried both Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.04 client machines to
establish the tunnel to a Netgear router. The Vista client is working
fine with the same tunnel configuration.

VPN Client Version - 2.1.5, 2.1.7
Linux or BSD OS Version - Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10
Gateway Make/Model - Netgear FVG318
Gateway OS Version - v2.1.2-67N

Using the Ubuntu client: a ping to the remote server is successful, a
basic text web-page can be retrieved from the server, log in to SQL
server is possible, as is showing databases present, and the Netgear
router is web manageable through the tunnel.

However, it is not possible to transfer images from the web server, and
it is not possible to use a database in SQL. Each of these actions
completes successfully using the Vista client.

I found a previous mailing list report of problems on Linux systems
(vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html) which deals with traffic not
reaching userland applications. I've followed the suggestions there,
setting IP parameters *.rp_filter to 0 on the client. This did not
change any of the problem behaviours I'm seeing.
The problem occurs every time on the Ubuntu client.

Any help getting this working would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gordon