[vpn-help] No traffic thru my tap0 device

Dick Kniep dickkniep at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:05:25 CST 2010

Hi List,

I am trying to setup a VPN using Shrewsoft. The tunnel seems to come up
properly ( no errors), but no traffic passes thru the tunnel. When I use
tcpdump, it seems that the traffic is still going thru eth0 and not thru
tap0. I have edited sysctl for the rp_filter values, and I do get some
errors here, but I don't think it has anything to do with my problem.

sudo sysctl -a | grep rp_filter | grep -v arp
[sudo] password for dick:
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe"
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe0"
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe1"
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe2"
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe3"
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.lo.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter = 0