[vpn-help] DCHP issues after using Shrew VPN software on WinXP

Ian Hodgson ian.hodgson.home at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 28 07:42:14 CST 2010

Hello,
     I would really appreciate some help to resolve the following
problem with my WinXP PC.

     I had been playing with Netgear ProSafe VPN to connect to my
Netgear built-in VPN. I could not get this to work, so I thought that I
would try to use a different VPN client; Shrew Soft VPN. I downloaded
and installed v2.1.7-release without any apparent issues, but probably
too late in the evening to really focus on the task in hand. Rather than
just leaving it all until a better time, I decided to un-install the
Shrew VPN, which again seemed to complete without any problems. I
rebooted my PC after the un-install completed, but my wireless
connection that before the installation of Shrew VPN had been rock
solid, refused to connect. After re entering the wifi security settings,
I got to the stage where the wifi would connect, but my PC could not get
an IP address from the DHCP server.

     I connected a physical cable and the PC connected immediately
picking up an IP address from the DHCP server.

     I removed the cable and edited the wireless link connection details
to set the PC IP address and DNS server manually and the wireless worked
just as it had before.

     This tells me that the DHCP server is working and the wireless
security is all OK, but whatever I try, I cannot get the PC to pick up
it's IP details from the DHCP server on the wireless link.

     This was for sure (100%) all working before I installed and
un-installed Shrew VPN, so I can only conclude that this process changed
something way down in the settings that is preventing DHCP from working
over the wifi connection. Can anyone please tell me what is likely to
have been changed and how I can put it back?

     Many thanks in advance.