[vpn-help] Ipsec to Mikrotik RouterOS

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Oct 1 12:55:50 CDT 2010

On 9/26/2010 1:58 PM, Greg-Texmesh wrote:
> Has anyone setup Shrew 2.1.6 on Windows Xp or 7 and connect to a
> Mikrotik router running RouterOS4.2 or higher?
>
> I need help!!!

It would appear that the Microtik router uses racoon as its IKE daemon,
so the client should work well with that platform. I don't have such a
device in my lab for testing so I can't offer a configuration howto for
that particular platform. However, if you read the VPN Client docs which
are available on our website, you should be able to get it up and
running. It has detailed information on how to configure racoon to work
with the Shrew Soft VPN Client ...

http://www.shrew.net/static/help-2.1.x/vpnhelp.htm?ConfiguringIPsecTools.html

However, it doesn't look like the Microtik supports the modecfg section
of racoon which will means the client won't be able to support the ike
config push/pull methods. That means you will need to either disable the
virtual adapter or use static virtual adapter addresses for each client
and configure any private DNS/WINS settings manually. Disappointing.