[vpn-help] VPN connection with Alcatel-Lucent Brick

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Oct 1 13:01:27 CDT 2010

On 9/28/2010 8:45 AM, Sławomir Krok wrote:
>   Hi
>
> I was able to solve this on my own. Problem was actually caused by
> Alcatel-Lucent IP Sec client which was on the same PC. Even when it was
> off, there were few services working and blocking Shrew. This was a bit
> of suprise because in past I was using Alcatel client with e.g. Cisco
> and Junier clients on the same PC and all of them worked fine.
> So, after uninstalling Alcatel client I could ping remote hosts, and
> remote doktop works fine too.

Thanks for the followup post. Different VPN Clients capture and process
IKE and IPsec traffic differently. We have invested a lot of time into
making sure our VPN client doesn't interfere with other clients that may
be installed ( only install divert rules for specific peer IP's and only
process traffic which match our specific IPsec SA identifiers ).
However, other VPN clients aren't nearly as accommodating and will try
to process traffic that it shouldn't. This can cause the Shrew Soft VPN
client to work incorrectly. Its all very implementation specific.