[vpn-help] VPN client not supporting DHCP on host ? FIX SUCCESSFUL ! yet a minor glitch

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Fri Sep 10 12:52:57 CDT 2010

Hi Matthew,

On 08/11/2010 08:48 AM, Matthew Grooms wrote:
> On 8/7/2010 1:47 AM, Robert Grasso wrote:
>> when I start a tunnel, your client does not remove the "search" line
>> : here is what happens :
>>
>> domain    mycompany.lan nameserver    192.168.1.209 nameserver
>> 192.168.1.208 # Generated by NetworkManager search bob.etrumaison
>>
>> thus, when I try to connect on some computer in the LAN using its
>> name (not FQDN), the DNS resolution fails, and I have to remove the
>> search line by hand - to my, this is minor, however, if you can
>> polish it ...
>>

> There should be a way to resolve this using your OS supplied network
> configuration tool. A simple fix would be to add mycompany.lan to your
> search path so its always present.

I stumble over the same thing on Ubuntu Lucid with 2.1.6. I havent found
a way yet, so if you had a hint it would be great. NetworkManager can be
a pain in the arse sometimes.

Having the Shrew client replacing the search line or at least just
inserting the domain configured by the server before the one found in
the resolv.conf would at least be very helpful. If you have just one
machine to fix manually, would be fine to do it. If there are more than
one, it just fucks the idea of autoconfiguration ;-))

Cheers,
Clemens